[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:03:53 -0800
I get the horse idea. But.....

andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Imagine a car intelligent enough that it can navigate by itself, even if you
>fall asleep.

DARPA, the folks that brought you the internet, if you believe the
'murcan version over the European one, are seeking to create just such a
thing. The US Defense Dept. has a goal of having a high % of all
battlefield vehicles be driverless (and wireless, independent) by 2015.
They have been spending lots of money with the usual corporate suspects,
but also want to tap independent genius. They recently held a
competition with a $1 million prize for any one with a vehicle that
could traverse a GPS defined course over rugged desert terrain. Nobody
even finished, but a couple showed a lot of promise. They plan to do it
again soon.

> Imagine it ran on renewable biomass and generated no exhaust
>(OK, some, but nontoxic).

Not really nontoxic, depends on the situation. Sometime around the turn
of the 20th., century, Scientific American printed research saying that
cities had reached or, in the case of NY, exceeded their maximum
sustainable size and density. The reason? Air pollution from dried horse
exhaust pulverized by narrow steel rimmed wheels was starting to cause
serious health problems in NY residents.

>The technology is here - we could do it today. ;-)

DARPA, the folks that brought you the internet, if you believe the
'murcan version over the European one, are seeking to create just such a
thing. The US Defense Dept. has a goal of having a high % of all
battlefield vehicles be driverless (and wireless, independent) by 2015.
They have been spending lots of money with the usual corporate suspects,
but also want to tap independent genius. They recently held a
competition with a $1 million prize for any one with a vehicle that
could traverse a GPS defined course over rugged desert terrain. Nobody
even finished, but a couple showed a lot of promise. They plan to do it
again soon.

>The technology is here - we could do it today. ;-)

Sooner than you think for the horseless version.

Moose