[OM] Re: OT: Photography/Fine Art/Writing Colleges

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Photography/Fine Art/Writing Colleges
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:03:36 -0500
I put the question of the junior writer/photographer to my daughter who
has been a writer for several magazines with the last two having a fair
amount of product photography since they dealt with home furnishings.
This is her reply:

Chuck Norcutt

That's a hard one. From a magazine perspective, at least the ones I've
worked for/are familiar with, most photography (and a good bit of
writing) is done on a freelance basis - so most photographers work for
themselves.

The other route is newspapers, which have photographers on staff. I
guess she needs to ask herself if she wants to see her work published,
such as in a magazine/newspaper, or if she wants to go the artist/art
gallery route. If she's interesting in publishing her work, then she
should seek a school with a good journalism/communications program
offering photography.

Otherwise, she should look for a school with a good visual arts program,
also with photography, but more as art, not information. (does that make
any sense?)

I guess the other way to go, if she's still searching - and who isn't at
17?! - is find a school with a good liberal arts program where she can
safely experiment with both the photography (as part of fine arts and/or
journalism) and the writing (again as art or journalism) and maybe not
declare a major right away.

At Auburn, I don't think you had to declare a major until your junior
year, and the classes you were just "trying out" before you declared
just filled in as the electives you had to have to graduate anyway.
Hopefully, she won't spend too much time (or her parent's money) finding
the right path - but who knows - didn't I start at Auburn as a
veterinary medicine major?

Sorry that was such a lengthy answer, but ask a writer a question...