[OM] Re: Subject: Re: Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)

Subject: [OM] Re: Subject: Re: Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:30:20 -0500
After Olympus's whole marketing pitch justifying the design of the 4/3
lens mount and sensor size combination as facilitating good wide angle
performance on digital cameras, I have been astonished that a really
wide lens (even a prime instead of a zoom) was not one of the first
things out of the stable.

With the push to get accepted again as a "professional" camera you would
think that they would have capitalized on their supposed design
superiority in wide angle imaging immediately.

According to the development roadmap that Oly published (I have a PDF
but can't find the source page anymore) they should be releasing a zoom
of about 7-15mm (14-30mm equivalent) sometime this year.  That should
complement the 14-54 very nicely.  No fast wide prime is planned until
2005.  I think they definitely need the 7-15mm with superb image quality
in order to make their case.  It should have been the first lens out
even if the market is small.

Chuck Norcutt