[OM] Re: F280 in Vision Age/copy

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 in Vision Age/copy
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:27:34 -0600
The original part number for the T-32 flash tube was EC4015, the T-20's was
EC4013, but some time in the '80s Olympus re-worked their part numbers and
went from the 6-character system to an 8-character system (usually two
letters followed by six numbers, the last two almost always "00").

Flash tubes almost all became "DQ" parts, capacitors became "DC" parts,
switches became "DY", transformers/coils changed to "DL", and so on.  The
flash tube used in the T-32 became DQ007700, while the one for the T-20
became DQ007500.  The main transformer for the T-32 went from DC1014 to
DL013500, the main cap from KC1034 to DC025300, the main switch from DC2001
to DY011800, etc.

The parts pages for the T-45 and F-280 have always shown the flash tube as
DQ007700, while the number for the tube in the Twin flash heads appears to
have been misprinted and changed from "DQ007000" to DQ007700.  I've never
encountered a T-45 with a bad tube, only a few on the F-280, but bad tubes
in the Twin heads are almost as common as on the T-32 -- I've seen lots of
them both.  Either they don't fire at all, or they glow with a faint blue
arc -- we call them "blue flamers".  In any case, they all used the same
part.

I don't recall ever seeing a bad tube in a Quick Auto 310 or 300, and have
never had the need to try a DQ007700 in one -- I can't tell you if it would
even fit.  I've got enough "dead" 310's around to use for parts, I doubt I'd
ever need to.

Perhaps Olympus changed the tube in the T-32 after developing the one they
used in the F-280, but if they did, they did so without notice.  (Oh, how I
wish I'd made copies of all those factory manuals we had that were written
all in Japanese!  I bet there was stuff in there that would make your toes
curl!  ;^)

> Are you absolutely sure it is the same tube as T32?  Do you have the F280
p/n to compare with the T32 listed p/n. Have you ever replaced a F280 tube
with the T32 part, and had it work?
> The T32 service manual drawing shows tube p/n as EC4015,  vendor part #
S-3655-G. Is this the same as the F280 part list? (the tube # is not shown
on Mark's website copy of service manual). The QA310 shows a different tube
p/n EP3174. The T45 also shows a different p/n D0007700. I would guess the
T32/45/310 would all work interchangeably with no problem, if they fit.