[OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:21:35 -0800
Stacking Advents could give you more sound all right, that's true enough,
but the real purpose to do this in my mind would be to "open up" the sound
I had already heard before from just the one pair whatever volume I'd then
listened at. Of course, I would then need more power, while I'd be free
always to crank the amplifier up until my ears watered.

I'm not sure how much power the large Advents could actually take. I know
the early version needed to fused or you'd blow out the tweeters fast. I
also know mine sounded great with just a 30-watt receiver driving them at
modest levels, and when I was young I witnessed setups with ten times that
power drive them to astonishing levels of sound with, apparently, no ill
effects. At a guess I'd speculate, though, that anything more than 60
actual watts coursing through Advents would be hazardous. Quintuple that to
arrive at a decent reserve of power (now we're at that 300--watt figure) to
keep distortion reasonably low and I'd suppose everything would be okay.
But I don't know.

I listened to stacked Advents once. With my eyes closed. You already know,
I suppose, how well these unique speakers allow you to "feel" the resin on
a bow as it draws against the strings of a violin. Well, stacked you can
enjoy that sonic sensation just the same but without "invisible veil"
Pearson spoke to re the single-paired arrangement. It's almost as if you
could now sense that resin's dust in the air as it drifted your way.
Difficult for me to explain, as I do _not_ have golden ears (as a matter of
fact my wife's calling me this minute to do something or other and I can
hardly hear a thing), but I'm sure it's about something more subtle and
significant than merely "more sound."

For that exercise I'd go back to my dream of the Bose 901s. I first heard
those speakers one crazed evening after the bars at a pot party when I was
still an undergraduate with excess candle to burn. They were spilling out
"Roadhouse Blues" off _Morrison Hotel_ like some impossible Biblical flood.
At first I couldn't figure out where in the hell this wall of magnificent
sound might be coming from. Then I spied two odd-looking objects dangling
in the air just above head level over a collection of armchairs and
couches. I turned to Scott who I'd trooped in with and poked him and asked,
"Are those the speakers or something?" "Yeah, they're Bose" he told me.
"Bose?" I asked him dumbly. "What the hell is a Bose?" (What can I say? We
all enjoyed good cheap pot back then.)

Buy another pair of Advents? Maybe I will at that, but I've put it off for
a long time for the reason already cited: I don't own components of
sufficient quality to justify the expense. My old Sony receiver up north
isn't the answer! Neither is the gear we have down here in Scotts Valley
(which drives a pair of Infinity boxes). This might, however, cause me to
at least snoop around for some used Rotel gear or something of the kind.
Anyone on this list ever hook up that stuff? Terrific sound in its own
right, and not just "for the money." A sort of perfect match for speakers
in the very modest price range of Advents.

Tris