[OM] Re: [OM][OT] 8 inch floppies

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] 8 inch floppies
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:02:29 -0000
The PS/2 was certainly not introduced in 1977, and the Apple Lisa 2 with a
3.5" drive which was introduced in 1984 arguably predated the Macintosh (and
the PS/2).

But the ACT Apricot was launched in 1983 with 3.5" floppies.  I recall doing
project work for the British Post Office in 1985. Use of the Apricot, being
a British made PC, was a requirement.  Getting hold of the disks was
something of a challenge!

ACT had started out importing from the US the Victor 9000, an 8088 16-bit PC
which predated the IBM PC.

But I don't think any of the above ever had 8" floppies!

Piers