[OM] Re: I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic

Subject: [OM] Re: I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:03:40 -0500
I'm the so-and-so who dared to opine that Sean Penn is probably
the most talented man in the movie business today.  That judgment
is based not just on Penn's acting ability, which is considerable,
but also on his writing and directing.  Besides such early
productions as "Taps," and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," through
better efforts like "At Close Range," "Colors," "Carlito's
Way," "Dead Man Walking," "I Am Sam," etc., all of which are
fairly well known, I would recommend for the curious a title or
two that didn't get all that much attention.

"The Indian Runner" was Penn's first writing and directing
effort.  Although somewhat on the stark side, this tale of two
brothers, one good and getting gooder, the other bad and getting
badder, is well worth watching.  And for all you LOTR fans and/or
those who favor the "Smoldering Intensity" school of acting, this
was one of Viggo Mortenson's early (1991) roles.

"U-Turn," starring Sean and directed by Oliver Stone, has a great
supporting cast: Nick Nolte, J.Lo, Billy Bob Thornton, Jon Voigt,
Powers Booth, Julie Hagerty, Bo Hopkins, and, again for you LOTR
fans, Liv Tyler.  Yeah, she whispers in this one too.

"Sweet and Lowdown" is a particular favorite of mine.  An Oscar
for Penn's performance here would not have been that far off the
mark.  Great music, too.

Anyway, I appreciate talent and, unlike some, really don't give a
damn about the talent's politics. The only folks whose political
persuasions interest me are the ones holding public office, and
then that's a whole 'nother story entirely.

Oh, and I haven't seen "21 Grams" yet.  Waiting on the DVD.  I
expect to be impressed.

Walt