[OM] Re: 8 inch floppies

Subject: [OM] Re: 8 inch floppies
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:33:13 +0100

Hi Mike,

Just a little aside; did you work for Leo Computers or Centre File in the
60's? I remember your name, but not the exact association.....

Roger Key, CPH

Mike Bloor wrote:

At 03:23 03/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>To the best of my recollection IBM developed the 8" floppy originally
>for updating the microcode on IBM mainframes.  The next use was the IBM
>DisplayWriter product, one of the earliest dedicated word processors
>with a display screen (as opposed to typewriter based systems such as
>the IBM MTST and MCST).  From there it spread into use in the new field
>of micro computers... especially the S-100 bus machines.  I think the
>TRS-80 was one of the last users of 8" diskettes before the 5=1/4's came
>along.

IBM used them on data entry terminals long before the DisplayWriter came
out.  I think that was the original application.  It was designed to
replace punched card input for mainframe computers.

Panasonic personal computers used them after the TRS-80.

I have several storage boxes for 8" floppy disks in my loft.  Maybe I
should put them on the bay to help pay for my OM addiction.  Well, they are

rearer than most of the items that say "RARE".

Mike Bloor