[OM] Re: Inteligent OM adapter was Re: Sigma lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Inteligent OM adapter was Re: Sigma lenses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:47:26 -0800
on 2/29/04 1:48 PM, Daniel Sepke at fred42@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What I was thinking was some sort of programmable profiled system with the
> Zuiko line up in it and a default for third party lenses. The contacts must
> provide power for aperture/focus electronics as well as reporting back the
> lenses settings. I think you are the right lines with the point that most
> modern AF lenses are chipped.
>
> Anyway I am just dreaming of a possibility that won't likely come to pass...
>
> Ah well, back to that Attic ladder installation.
>
> Dan S.

I think the power is all in the digital SLR camera body... the lenses just
complete circuits and 'talk back' with the body.

What I would think possible is an adapter that 'tells' the camera what the
maximum aperture is on the lens mounted (because you dial it in or set it on
a scale with a moving knob or something...) and then also has a little
solenoid that duplicates the function of the stopdown mechanism of the SLR
(for instance OM-1) body. So the lens you mount could be full aperture
metered, manual focus, and auto aperture. That would be plenty, used in
aperture-priority automatic mode or manual exposure mode. To get around the
7mm depth restriction, you could make it an adapter ring with a box slung
underneath that held the switches and solenoid mechanism.

Somebody could figure out how to make this pretty easily if the market
motivated them enough. I doubt the camera body manufacturers would do it
though, because if their adapters are just inconvenient enough (but still
usable) they can eventually wear you down to buying into the new lenses they
really want to sell. They have no incentive to make an adapter that is too
highly usable, since it would potentially kill their new-lens market.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...