[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:05:54 -0800
I think the only thing going on is that many spammers have figured out
the CANSPAM act here in the USA has no teeth and have resumed business
as usual.

Another point to consider: if *all* ISPs enforced their terms of service
and AUP as they should (most prohibit spamming) then most of the spam
would dry up quickly. There are some really, really conscientious ISPs
out there, and they're great. However, there are also ISPs (like
Comcast, as an example of one of the most egregious lately) who wouldn't
know a clue if it came up and toothily clamped itself to their butts
(that's "arses" for all you folks thinking "cigarette ends?" at the mo'
:-) ).

It's really sad that management of ISPs is so bad in some parts of the
world (China (.cn), Korea (.kr) and Brazil (.br), to name only a few)
that it's routinely necessary to block ALL traffic from their assigned
IP ranges since virtually all that arrives from there is spam.

And lest anyone take offense: Yes, I AM aware that even though those are
the sending servers, it's mostly Americans abusing the system. That
abuse, however, couldn't continue if ISPs enforced and anti-spamming
policy AND if the various states and the feds here in the USA would get
serious about enforcing existing laws regarding fraud and spam.

---
Scott Gomez