[OM] Re: Photo 101 Questions - Old Dog Tries to Learn New Tricks

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo 101 Questions - Old Dog Tries to Learn New Tricks
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0500
A word of caution re PHOTOS.  You will note the word is omitted from
the description at the URL provided by Mark.  First, the size limits
stated are THE limits.  Second, and most important, having used one
years ago, the projected item - photo - is subjected to intense light
and heat.  (Only the reflected light, a very small proportion, is
projected.  The remainder is absorbed as heat.)  Years ago, I reduced
more than one photo to a fried state.  When the only option, it was an
option.  Today,  a simple computer flatbed scanner and video projection
equipment which protect your photos are available.  Equipment for the
latter approach is widely available at consumer prices or scans can be
transfered to a CDROM by many office supply (e.g. Kinko) or photo
dealers.

I find it of historical interest that these 'Scopes' are still being
marketed.  They are simple and serve a function, but NOT for heat and
items sensitive to intense light.
Regards,
Bill