[OM] Re: Tele-Converters.

Subject: [OM] Re: Tele-Converters.
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:06:13 -0800
The macro focusing Vivitar 2x teleconverter has a built in "adjustable
extension tube" allowing it to give your lens even closer focusing. I
believe the macro focusing 2x is a 7 element design while the 2X-21 is a
four element design.

I read on another group that the Vivitar match mate  teleconverters were 7
element designs made by Kiron. I've never seen one first hand so can only
raise this as something to look into. The Vivitar lenses that are made by
Kiron have serial nos. beginning with 22.

Most of the teleconverters are designed to work with long focal lengths. If
you try to use it with lenses shorter than about 85mm you may get
vignetting. The few shots I've seen using the Vivitar macro focusing
teleconverter didn't show any problem. They were taken at macro distances
though so they would be less likely to show a problem.

Some lenses give very good images with teleconverters while others do not.
Additionally the Zuiko 1.4x teleconverter protrudes fairly deep into the
lens it is attached to. It will not work with many lenses. The Tamron
Adaptall 1.4X doesn't protrude nearly as much. A list member pointed out
that was probably a side affect of the teleconverter mating to the back side
of an adaptall lens without having the adaptall between them. I believe the
Kiron 1.5x doesn't protrude as much as the Zuiko but may require even
slightly longer focal lengths to prevent vignetting.

My limited first hand experience is that the Zuiko 1.4X teleconverter works
so well with the big Tamron lenses that I can't see any loss of image
quality by using the teleconverter. It also seems to work very well with the
Tamron 180mm f2.5 but I've only used that combination a couple times.

A bad teleconverter - lens combination just gives fuzzy pictures. Maybe
others have seen other types of distortion. Mating a 1.4x converter to the
wrong lens could physically damage both the lens and teleconverter.

-jeff

Vivitar Subcontracted Lens Makers

 (1st two digits of serial number)

6  Olympus