[OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:49:00 -0800
on 2/17/04 7:52 PM, David Cochran at cochran@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I am thinking on getting a used lens to get pictures of an upcoming mountain
> bike competition. The place will be quite dry, almost desert like, in other
> words, plenty of light.
> I am considering the Zuiko 500mm f8 reflex or the Zuiko 300mm f4.5. Both are
> at almost the same price, just a diference of $30. Both are excellent plus
> graded....I tend to go for the 300mm. Any sugestions?
>
> peace
>
> David

These two lenses have some fundamental differences. The mirror tele is only
f8.0, no options for depth-of-field control or stopping down for slow
shutter speed effects. Out of focus highlight areas will render as small
circles rather than vaguely hex-shaped dots. The mirror tele is lighter and
slightly shorter overall, though about the same diameter. Many mirror teles
are lower contrast than an equivalent 'glass' tele lens, though the Zuiko is
given high marks for contrast. For my shakey hands a 300mm lens is barely
hand-holdable, mostly for higher shutter speeds. A 500mm lens is unlikely to
be usable except at the highest shutter speeds, and even then you might
think you're getting less sharpness when that is really camera movement...
it needs a robust tripod also. The greater magnification will be more
susceptible to imaging 'hot air currents' as well.

On the other hand, depending on your access, you might not be 'close enough'
with only 300mm... I suspect you will find the 300mm Zuiko is more usable
than the 500mm reflex Zuiko. Note that typical prices for the 500mm lens
were higher than for the 300mm lens, and the 300's seem to have dropped in
price some over the last 2-3 years in my unscientific monitoring. A good
clean example should be found for $250-$300, while the mirror lens as I
recall went for closer to $400 or so. If you're paying that much, depending
on where you're looking, you should survey the Resident List Enablers to see
if anyone has a 300 for a more reasonable price.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

What -I'd- REALLY like to be able to afford is the Zuiko 250/2.0... <sigh>