[OM] Re: Train shots

Subject: [OM] Re: Train shots
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:33:02 +0000
Which train are you taking photos from?  On a train journey from Beijing
to Moscow last year I got some nice results using 28mm lens mostly, but
some ones with 50mm and 135mm lenses.  I'd have thought much longer than
135 would not be so useful, as you'd have some difficulty eliminating
motion blur if you were going at any speed.  With the 28mm, I was really
pleased with some where I closed the aperture right down, getting
exposures in the 1/15-1/4s sort of range and getting a good motion
effect, but with the longer focal lengths I'd guess you're more likely
to be after non-blurry shots of the landscape.

Here are some examples of mine:

28mm shot, in northern China

http://www.world-traveller.org/travel/beijing-london/photos/train-china/CN16-S15-06.jpg

135mm shot in Mongolia

http://www.world-traveller.org/travel/beijing-london/photos/train-mongolia/MN2-S2-01.jpg

28mm with motion effect, somewhere in Siberia:

http://www.world-traveller.org/travel/beijing-london/photos/train-russia/RU4-S3-09.jpg

Roger
(Hoping I can get to Australia before too long and take photos from the
extended Ghan to Darwin)