[OM] CU on Digital SLRs

Subject: [OM] CU on Digital SLRs
From: "Richard Smith" <rms3863@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:42:47 -0600

I just got my copy of Consumer Reports, which includes a short half-page
report, "Digital SLR cameras: What the pros use."  This is intended to be a
quick overview, but Olympus won't be happy with the findings:

Introduction:  Compared with compacts digital SLRs are bulkier and heavier,
at 1.3 to more than 2 pounds, not including lens.  SLRs have a larger photo
sensor that's capable of handling a wider range of lighting conditions.
SLRs have almost no delay from one shot to the next.  None of the SLRs
tested comes with a memory card.  Only the Digital Rebel comes with a lens.

Best image quality:  Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro.
Best value:  Canon EOS Digital Rebel at $1000.
Best ease of use:  Sigma SD9 or Nikon D100.

Overall Ratings follow from first to last, based on image quality and ease
of use. Cameras are compared only to one another using their automatic
setting.  Lens not specified.
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro, $2,000, 31 oz., 6.17 megapixels.
Sigma SD9, $1,100, 32 oz., 3.43 megapixels
Canon EOS 10D, $1,500, 32 oz., 6.3 megapixels
Nikon D100, $1,500, 40 oz., 6 megapixels
Canon EOS Digital Rebel, $1,000, 23 oz., 6.3 megapixels
Pentax *istD, $1,700, 22 oz., 6 megapixels
Olympus E-1, $1,800, 27 oz., 5 megapixels

Olympus and Nikon are ranked last on picture quality.  Nikon had a problem
with color accuracy; there was no explanation for Olympus.  CU concluded
that all seven SLRs tested produce sharp, high-quality images and are fine
performers.  CU notes that "if you own an SLR film camera, you can buy a
digital body of the same brand and often use lenses you already own."  I
think we have been through that one a few times.

Dick Smith