[OM] Re: Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:15:16 -0700
At 03:59 PM 06/02/2004, Jon Mitchell wrote:

>On this subject, guys, I have a small question.  I have Photoshop Elements
>(v2 I think) that came free with my scanner.  It has a nice function called
>"Colour Cast Removal" or something whereby you can show it what white is, or
>black, or even grey, and it will colour balance the picture for you (usually
>pretty well !).  I normally choose white, for what it's worth, as I find
>this gives best results.
>
>Now, Elements doesn't support the 16-bits/channel.  For other reasons I
>upgraded to Photoshop v7.  This is all very well, and does a lot of great
>stuff, but I can't find this simple colour-cast removal function within the
>full version of Photoshop !  Is it deemed too "simple" and they have
>included a much more "manual" way of doing it ?  Am I just being daft and
>missing something ?

You probably want the "Auto Color" command, available off of the "Image -->
Adjustments" drop-down dialog.  It uses an algorithm to search white, black
and midpoint values in the actual image and then re-balances.  You can
adjust how it does that using the "Image --> Adjustments --> Levels..."
drop-down dialogue.  Its default settings work pretty well, but some times
a little tweaking is necessary.

Garth