[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:10:55 -0800
gordross@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi Scott:
>
>The idea of wearing bells or other noise makers is to announce your arrival,
>for most bears that allows them to manouver away as they don't generally
>like to make contact. For the rogue bear, hurt bear, or hungry bear it is a
>dinner chime. The Grizzly is a creature of the Rockies in N.A.

Sadly, the last one in California was killed not long after the turn of
the century. The only ones left are on the state flag!

Before we killed them off, Grizzly inhabited the central valley and
foothils with black bears predominently in the mountains. The black
bears are slowly expanding their range to old Grizzly country.

Moose