[OM] Anyone with tips on shooting a large group?

Subject: [OM] Anyone with tips on shooting a large group?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:43:12 +1300
Douglas wrote
> Subject: [OM] Anyone with tips on shooting a large group?
> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:04:55 -0800
>

> Actually OT 'cause I will be using my OM4<g>.  I have been ask to take B&W
> photos of some middle school bands and orchestras for the yearbook.  They
> will be arranged in a performance grouping, maybe 40 players at most.  I
> plan on elevating myself somewhat (on a ladder) and will be using auxiliary
> lighting.

I'm catching up on several days' worth of digests.
With respect to all those who have already responded ( and I've seen only
Skip's reply so far) I notice that none of the photographers who "shot" class
groups etc at my son's old high school, did so in the open sun.

All are done in the shade of one of the many big oak or beech trees in the
school grounds. Makes for much more even illumination and relative absence
of shadows on the faces.  And has a dark background that doesn't distract.

I see what Skip means when he talks about the need to use Photoshop etc
to remove / alter the twerps in the class. Could take a few shots at a farm
and fit pigs heads to the worst of the errant kids. For a laugh.

If you are able, joke, try to relax them, and shoot when they have just
finished clowning around.

Maybe have a 'nother camera alongside to draw their fire and then use the
real one.

I could never figure out why these guys never used a Medium Format camera
to give better results; them I found that the photographers who "do" all the
school shoots, spend upwards of $12,000 a year taking each principal's
secretary out to lunch in order to get the job; minor details like what makes a
good photo don't enter into it. So 35mm, Spotmatic, and steady as she goes.

Unlike when I was a schoolkid and at Uni; the class photographers always
used very large format cameras, black cloth and all the works and the shots
had stunning detail.

Brian