[OM] Re: $300 old SLR trade in for E-1 - official word from Oly USA

Subject: [OM] Re: $300 old SLR trade in for E-1 - official word from Oly USA
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:32:27 -0500
What has stopped me is reaching the conclusion that the sensor is too
small.  Olympus seems to have invented a solution to a problem that
doesn't seem very real.

Look, for example, at the photographic results obtained with the Canon
1Ds: <http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos1ds_samples1/>
This is a full frame sensor and should exhibit all the anomalies that
Olympus warns of when used with WA lenses.  I don't see anything that
truly jumps out at me other than the small amount of chromatic
abberation I pointed out the other day.

Olympus has now committed the lens line to this small image circle and
small pixels.  As the technology improves they may be able to increase
resolution without increasing noise but they will always be noisier than
the competition with larger sensors.  There is also no size or weight
reduction apparent from the choice of small sensor.

Getting full wide angle coverage back though depends on having full or
near full frame sensors.  The error in my reasoning may be that I can't
afford a full frame sensor any time in the foreseeable future.  The
consequence is that Olympus might then provide the only affordable wide
and super wide angle... where affordability is measured at the body
instead of the lens.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA