[OM] Re: Camera Bags... still

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags... still
From: "Rolf Lockwood" <rolftruck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:00:05 -0500
Cc: ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote on 2/1/2004, 9:20 PM:

 > Domke sounds good, and much better than this nappy bag stuff - have
 > some pride chaps!

Ha! Good one, Chris. I've wanted to make exactly that retort a zillion
times, whenever I've heard the diaper/nappy bag suggestion. Have some
pride indeed! I can't see the point. Bags aren't all that expensive,
Billinghams and a couple of others the exceptions (and they truly scream
'steal me', don't they?) so why go with something with such inherent limits?

And since there seems to be a wish for more chat on this bag thread, let
me launch...

I don't really want to admit how many bags I have, but the mainstays are
four Domkes -- F1X, F2, F3, & F3X -- with an F803 on the way. Plus a
couple of big old Domke knock-offs as well, a few Lowepros, one
new-to-me and lonely Tenba (actually it's pretty good, can't remember
the model -- 506?), and still several others. I guess it's too many, but
it's a horses-for-courses sort of thing. I have yet to find the perfect
bag, but it's a fruitless search, so I buy bags for the task, not for
the gear. My old and battered F2 comes closest to perfection, but only
for smaller mechanical gear like we're talking about on this list.

Indeed, my new but expanding OM1 kit mostly resides in that F2, and
comfortably -- 2 bodies, 4 primes, assorted bits -- but if I want to go
light, I've got one of the F3s for 1 body and 2 lenses. The F1x holds a
biggish gathering of Nikon AF stuff but is usually only used for
transport -- I'll fill a smaller bag as well and take it along for day use.

The Domke F803 (in the mail from a photo.netter, or so I trust) is, I
think, going to be brilliant for a small camera and small kit. Looks
more like a shoulder-hung briefcase than a camera bag but will hold 2
bodies with shortish primes mounted and another 1 or 2 lenses plus all
the claptrap of a shooting day. It's a favorite ('favourite' for the
non-Americans in the crowd) of Leica folks, and I'm guessing it will be
slung from my shoulder a lot. The briefcase look and configuration is
the key.

I could go on, probably as nauseum, but work beckons. My vote, to sum it
all up, is for the Domke F2. Strong as an ox, bigger than it seems, and
decidedly unpretentious. But not perfect.

Rolf in Toronto