[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:34:04 -0500
I've been through about 30 bags in my 30 years of taking pictures, and I've
come to like bags that are as light and easily workable as possible.  I guess
it's from my days as a photojournalist affecting my decisions, but I really
like bags that are easy to get in/out of and mold to my body somewhat.
Equipment protection is a secondary consideration as long as everything isn't
piled on top of itself.  But I'm not into bags that have lots of compartents.

I'm not a big fan of Tamrac, Lowe, Tenba, or the other, heavily padded, heavily
compartmentalized bags, as they become too difficult to work out of.  For
storing a heap of gear to take somewhere, however, they are very nice.  I keep
my stuff in older, Adapt-a-Cases, separated from each other when it's not being
used.  I then assemble a kit as I need it, and select the righ sized bag for
that day.  I went through my Tenba stage back in the 70's when they first came
out.  One is still with me since the mid-70's and stays for sentimental value.

My two, all-time favorite brands of bags are Domke and Billingham.  They are
both relatively pliable, with the Domke being easier to work out of.  The
canvas bags are very, very easy to stuff gear into as you need it.  I've never
seen anything that is easier to work out of than a Domke, but my Billingham's
come close (I got the black-on-black models, which look much more stealthy).
Regarding Domke, I've got the F2, an old Compact, F3X, F6, F803, and a little
FX5.  I have a Billingham Hadley Pro and an Alice, both in black-black.

Right now, the Black F3X has an OM4t/MD2, 50/1.4, 50/1.2., 55/1.2, 24/2,
16/2.8, 90/2, Metz 54MZ3, and a Tamron 17/3.5 in it, plus film.

You could carry your kit with the old standby, the Domke F2, although it won't
be light.  They also have a couple of larger bags.

I also use a Kinesis belt system (similar to the Lowe product) when shooting
events, as it lets me carry two camera with me and then extra lenses and film
off my shoulder.

Skip