[OM] 'Speedy' OM-4 lightmeter

Subject: [OM] 'Speedy' OM-4 lightmeter
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:51:17 +0100
Hi all,

A friend's OM-4 is underexposing *a lot*. I had a look at it this
afternoon, and found the following:

-- The '+-' mark on viewfinder is *always* blinking, no matter the position
of the exposure compensation dial.

-- The ISO setting seems to have no effect at all, no matter the selected mode.

-- Compared with my CLA'd OM-2S (both with Zuiko 50/1.4), this 4's readings
(in Auto) are about a stop *higher* than those of my 2S... at ISO 3200!
IOW, this OM-4 would expose correctly an ISO 6400 film.

-- When doing a spot reading on the 4, the 'diamond' shows the same
exposure as the 2S in Manual/Spot at ISO 800 (again, the ISO dial setting
has no effect), but the 'bar' graph reads two stops *higher* than the
diamond -- like if the exposure compensation dial was at (-2).

-- Pressing 'HiLight' puts the bar at nearly the same reading of the
diamond. That would expose correctly an ISO 800 film. 'Shadow' button works
as expected.

-- Multi-spot metering works as expected... but the bar still reads two
stops higher than the diamonds' average.

The camera was loaded, so I didn't try any OTF Auto exposure, but the user
got his previous slide roll heavily underexposed.

After all these observations, I did the 'Reset' procedure as follows:

1.Set to Manual
2.Set to B
3.Toggle quickly between Manual and Auto, several times
4.Set back to Manual
5.Set the dial to an 'electronic' speed

...but of no avail.

Is there any 'quick fix' for this, is it time for a CLA, or is the thing dead?

Many thanks in advance,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>