[OM] Re: Helmut

Subject: [OM] Re: Helmut
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:50:59 -0700
Omigod does that bring back some memories. When Bell came out with the
TopTex crushable liner I bought one. That was in the 1950's. I promptly rode
my new Ariel Red Hunter motorcycle off a 30 foot cliff and landed in a road
on my feet and then flipped on my head. A pyramid shaped rock pierced the
helmet and my skull. Without that hat on I would have been really dead. A
rancher was looking for a lost calf and found the bike about two weeks
later. It had gone down the mountain another 450 feet into a brush pile. The
transmission was still good but not much else. I returned the helmet to Bell
and they sent me a new one. I still have the same head complete with dent
and possibly other things. I am a firm believer in helmets but they don't
always help. A friend of mine hit a tree while skiing Saturday and broke his
neck. He's on life support but probably really dead. If he dies that will be
three fatalities at Jackson Hole in about one week. All from people hitting
trees and all wearing helmets, I think.