[OM] Re: Focusing Screens - Lurker whispers

Subject: [OM] Re: Focusing Screens - Lurker whispers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:31:48 -0800
Welcome out in the light, Tim.

About the screens, I'll quote from my past posts:
"I was recently using 2 Om-4 bodies at the same time with different film
in them. One has the plain Beattie and the other the 2-4. There is a
real difference for me. Not in brightness, but in ease of seeing detail
when focusing. I much prefer the 2-4, the Beattie seems very coarse in
comparison."
"Equally bright. Maybe 2 stops? I don't remember and the eye compensates
so there isn't much apparent brightness difference with normal lenses
when it is bright out.

Oly must have the best microprism by default, since Beattie does not
have any microprism screens, only plain and split image at 90 or 45 degrees.

The Beatties tend to darken with wide angle lenses where the Olys do not.

I like the 'finish' or grain or whatever, the look of the image, on the
Olys better. Beatties are fine screens. I like the 2 series Olys better.
I have a plain Beattie and both 2-4 and a 2-13 Olys."

You can certainly leave an Oly 2 series screen in the camera all the
time with the lenses you have. It's just too long since I used the
Beattie to really remember how wide you have to go before the Beattie
starts to darken compared to the Olys, but I do have a note that from
35mm on up, the Beattie is fine. The darkening gets worse as the focal
length gets shorter, so 28mm may not be problematic with a Beattie. I'd
go look, but my Beattie isn't in a body, having been supplanted by a
2-13. The 2 series Olys are fine down to the 18/3.5 lens, the widest I
have, and to 300+mm. The 2-13 split image and micro-prism tend to darken
or black out with longer lenses because they tend to be slower. The 2-4
and the matte area of the 2-13 are fine at 500mm and not bad at 1000mm,
but by then a 1-7 is definitely better.

Moose

Tim.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>.............. does anyone
>have any advice on brighter focusing screens. I haven't tried the zoom
>in low light yet but the guy in the shop suggested I get a Beattie (?)
>screen to improve the viewfinder image. Is this really necessary?
>(bearing in mind I don't have great eyesight <wears glasses/contacts>
>and do take quite a lot of early morning shots in murky British weather)
>Is the Beattie only useful for the zoom

Focusing screens don't differentiate between zooms and primes.