[OM] Prodigy and their "subsidiaries" (SBC global, pacbell, snet, ...) R

Subject: [OM] Prodigy and their "subsidiaries" (SBC global, pacbell, snet, ...) Re: Re: I'm back - I hope
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:14:26 +0100
Cc: zuiko_warrior@xxxxxxxxx, olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx, mfracasso@xxxxxxxx
Gentlemen,

Apparantly, this problem lies with prodigy, who's running mail-servers for
a whole lot of domains. As a matter of fact, they have "a lot" of mail
servers for any given of their addresses....some of these are configured to
respond "access denied" to list emails, other lets the mails pass through.
I have not figured out WHY they do this -- but I am not sure that there is
an answer to "why"....

This affects prodigy, SBCglobal, snet, pacbell and possibly other "names",
under which prodigy operates (and whos MX-records points to prodigy's mail
servers).

The result is, that "some" mails may be delivered, others are bounced :(
This explains why affected subscribers may not immediately detect the
problem since "...but I do get some list email" actually is true....

*All* the list subscriber problems (that I have heard of) have been traced
to this particular issue with prodigy's mail servers.

Of course, I have tried to bring the issue to the attention of the prodigy
support people, however they seem to have a strange definition of "support"
-- a definition which closely resembles the normal definition of "ignore
utterly". Me not being a direct or indirect client of theirs, of course,
means that ignoring me is risk-free: I ain't got no business to threathen
to take elsewhere.....

There is little more I can do on this issue. I would encourage those of you
who are affected to bring this up with your customer service representative
at your ISP, and ask -- in a serious tone -- that they fix their
configuration. If that fails, I can only suggest doing as Moose and Gary
have done, and take your business elsewhere.

I am afraid that identifying the source of the problem is all that is
within my powers. Unless, that is, someone could pass me the root-password
for the prodigy mail-server cluster :) (and the administrator password for
their payroll servers would be nice too, please...*gg*)

Apologies to everyone affected. I hope this will work out in the end. And
let me know if there's anything more I can do....

--thomas

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:28:50 -0800
Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Came through fine Gary. Welcome back from your enforced banishment!
>
> As you know, I have the same ISP and had the same problem.
>
> Moose
>
> zuiko_warrior@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >My ISP is blocking this domain, forcing me to correspond from a new
> >yahoo account.  I hope this gets through.  I missed you guys.
> >
> >Gary Edwards

> To contact the list admins:
> mailto:olympusadmins@xxxxxxxxxx?subject="Olympus List Problem"

  Thomas Heide Clausen