[OM] Macworld (digital stuff, minimal direct OM content, long)

Subject: [OM] Macworld (digital stuff, minimal direct OM content, long)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:09:56 -0800
I went to Macworld today and saw some interesting things (digital) photographic. Played a fair bit with the E1 with both the 50/2 macro and 14-54/2.8-3.5 zoom. Stephen has already given the camera a pretty good workout and review, but this was my first impression and hands on one that had a lens (my local store had only a body in stock last time I was there). Overall, I came away very impressed. Most of the lenses seem to be priced pretty reasonable (though the 300/2.8 is commanding Zuiko 350/2.8 kind of money).

The system components all seem very well designed and manufacturered. The body feels very good in the hands and the user interface is pretty intuitive. AF speed seemed about the same as my EOS 10D.

The Olympus rep had some interesting comments....

On durability, he says that the E1 shutter is designed to exceed 150,000 cycles, and that "only a small number of cameras" are designed to this standard today. This was my opportunity to ask about the rumors of a 20,000 cycle shutter limit on the E10/E20 to which he said they make no official statement, but that "most lower cost cameras" (including the EOS D30, D60, 10D, digital Rebel, etc.) are all designed at a cost price point and that the 20,000 shutter cycle is the target. I found this difficul to believe (maybe because I don't want to believe my 6 month old EOS 10D is almost half way worn out if that is really true). Anyway, it appears much more rugged than an E10/20, on par with a 1D.

On the OM mount adapter, I pressed the subject and he did say to "stay tuned" and "there is a big push from loyal Olympus OM users asking for this." I mentioned the Olympus mail list and said we would love to see it happen. I told him I am presently using my Zuiko 350/2.8 on my EOS 10D as a good example of an Olympus loyalist going elsewhere. He made it sound like they probably will release it.

On FL40 flash, yes, it will work with the E1 the same as with an E10/E20. The FL50 has some added capability, but the FL40 will work. (Good to know for us E10/E20 users who payed an arm and a leg for the FL40.)

On pixels, the rep stated they plan to eventually go up to 20 mega-pixels with this imager size. I found this to be a rather bold statement and feel it really is a very optimisitc read of the technology crystal ball. I dunno....

On the system's future, the design intent is that the E system will be around for many human generations (we'll see....).

International Pro Services has been started up for those who meet Olympus' criteria (48 hour service turnaround).

Other booths of interest included Canon, Nikon, and Epson. Couldn't push my way close enough to play with the D2H the two times I tried. The EOS 1Ds is one heavy tank. Way too heavy for field use IMO. The new Epson "ultra chrome" printers....WOW!!!! Very much worth a look.

A fun day.... Oh, and I think the new 12" G4 iBook would make a great "digital wallet."Cool stuff.

Mike Veglia