Re: [OM] Kit advice and favourite combination

Subject: Re: [OM] Kit advice and favourite combination
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:33:48 +1100
> Wayne Culberson [mailto:waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> <snip>
> Questioning the C5050. If it goes, something else has to stay home.
> <snip>

If I was going to Bali again, my concern would be storage. I'd
be taking enormous numbers of photos, and would constantly
be worried about filling the cards I have (and would thus
be caught between wanting to be snap-happy, and wanting to
conserve). Of course, this is because my download medium
is a laptop that wouldn't be going with me (those hotel
safes are just *too* small, and it's too hot to carry
a laptop backpack around Kuta/Legian/Ubud/etc. :-) ).

Thus, for me, I'd forget the c5050 (as much as I'd want to
take it), and concentrate on a film body (or two - my C*n*n
and my OM) on a trip to Bali...but I don't know how
comparable the above situation is to you (or Bolivia ;-) )

> 2. Maybe a XA.

I'd probably have my MjuII/Epic on me - after all, it slips in
the pocket - as it's good for taking out to dinner (it
doesn't eat much) for happy-snaps with friends without
getting in the way. I'd also have it for something like
rafting or other marginally risky endeavour (hey, if it
breaks it didn't cost much - a "single-use" might be just
as good there though).

Lenses? Well, Bolivia is a long way away from Bali (in
many ways), and I've no experience with altitude photography
nor any skill at landscape. For people, I'd probably 50/1.4
it, but that's just my favourite combination.

Which leads to Rolf's questing towards an on-topic thread:

 "what single combination of camera and lens has produced the
  pictures you're most proud of?"

I won't use the "most proud of", but substitute "best" instead
("most proud of" includes some personal photos taken earlier
this year which have more to do with content than quality). In
the case of "best", I'd have to say it's an equal match between
my Olympus OM1 with 50/1.4, and my C*n*n 50E with 100-300 USM
4.5-5.6...for two different types of photography - the former
for some Stockton family candids and still lifes up at the Hut
at Oberon on C41 black-and-white film, and the latter for some
colour negative shots from and of the sidelines of the Touch
Footy at the 2002 Gay Games in Sydney.

I love the OM1, 50/1.4 and C41 b&w combination. I believe I may
have mentioned this in the past <g>

Currently I have no New Years Resolutions (to harken back, I
think, to a recent thread). This last 12 months
both sucked and blew (and still does), and I feel it's the New
Year's obligation to resolve *itself* into something better for
me/us. <g> I'll be happy when it goes May 12 and nothing else has
happened. Then I'll make my own photographic resolutions.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz