Re: [OM] 1000 shots in a day - back to batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] 1000 shots in a day - back to batteries
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:54:52 -0800 (PST)
BD wrote about the Canon F1
>...the F1 was one of the "great ones" - you could hammer nails
>with that thing without doing it any harm. And the body itself,

>while bigger and heavier than the OMs, was actually
surprisingly
>compact for so sturdy a camera. I have to say I've long
>regretted selling mine.

I would consider, having actually used one myself, that this
particular camera ranks as the finest non-AF wildlife/sports
camera ever made.  That spot-meter was great too.  A past
acquaintance of mine used them extensively in the Artic regions
too.  Took him forever to go AF because of the reliability and
battery issues of extensive use in -40 to -60 temperatures.

The OMs are good cameras, but for brute strength and
reliability, this camera was in a league all it's own.  The
Nikon F3 came pretty close, but still couldn't keep pace in a
fps battle.

The archilles heal of the camera was the mount.  Canon's old
mount was NOT as robust as the camera.  Lacked the necessary
diameter.  A lot of big lenses saw untimely deaths.

AG