Re: [OM] tripods & QR Plates

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods & QR Plates
From: "Douglas Tourtelot" <tourtelot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:04:23 -0800
I too have a few different tripods and heads.  A Manfrotto 3121 with a 3410
head; great for 35mm, fairly light and very sturdy.  I like the QR plates as
well.  I hang a lead-shot bag off the bottom in the studio and that makes a
difference, but it may be more psychological. I also have a gigantic Gitzo
400 Studex with a Giottos Large Ball head that I primarily use for LF.  The
head was in the $200 range and doesn't shift when tightened.  Also has a
knob that allow head movement to be controlled by "drag" and allows for a
very easy positional set-up before the locking knob is turned down.
Excellent for the 4x5.  On top of this ball head, I have a Gitzo QR mount
that took me a very long time to find (about $90) that will allow me to use
the Manfrotto QR plates in an Arca-type clamping mount (as well as the Gitzo
plates that are standard equipment).  Also rock-solid.

Now if I would only take the time to use them.  Just got back a roll of some
f8 close-ups with the 500mm Tam*ron and wondered if my eyes were so bad that
I can't focus anymore.  Then realized "camera shake. Duh!."  On the bright
side, a few are actually sharp, so maybe a monopod (got one of those too<g>)
will do.

D.