Re: [OM] Rationale For Eschewing Digification

Subject: Re: [OM] Rationale For Eschewing Digification
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:28:44 -0500
To those of you who judged me daft for declining my wife's offer
of a new E-1, let me defend my sanity, however unpersuasively to
some of you, by explaining some of my reasoning.

It's a lot of money, and even though it's coming out of a
different pocket, it's still the same pair of pants.  And then I
would have to finance the lenses, etc.  More "a lot of money."

I've got nine OM bodies, motor drives, winders, 28 lenses, all the
macro flashes, two each of most of the other flashes, and a huge
pile of other OM goodies.  I also have eight MF bodies in two
different systems, plus 17 MF lenses.  Then there's the 4x5
stuff.  I'm not ready to start another outfit.

For the past several years, I have shot mostly color, but my
interest in B&W has been rekindled and I'm now shooting that half
the time, or more.  I develop my own B&W.  A half hour with some
D-76 and fixer comes as close to instant gratification as I really
need (or deserve).

And my major gripe about color, since I shoot almost exclusively
slides, has been the delay in getting the film processed.  Not
anymore!  I have found, six short miles and only 10-15 minutes
away, a lab that does same-day E-6, both 35mm and 120.  Good
enough for me.

Besides, after the "new" wore off in a month or two, then I'm
afraid that E-1 would have me lying awake nights listening to that
low-frequency rumbling of depreciation coming from down the hall.
Maybe I'll reconsider in a few months, like when we see what the
E-2 looks like.  By then we should know if that Zuiko lens adapter
thingy is actually going to exist or not, and by then E-1s will be
rumbling in the wee small hours of darkness a lot less.

Walt