Re: [OM] WWAD?

Subject: Re: [OM] WWAD?
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:31:02 -0500
Lama-Jim wrote:
It was very kind of the interviewer to ask the Nikon representative which MODEL of digital camera Ansel would have selected this
year.  Sheesh! [...]
 What Would Ansel Do?
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/ontech/0,15704,560361,00.html

Coincidentally, I've just been reading some biographies etc., about Ansel & other f/64 people, without coming across any reference yet to him working with a Nikon. In smaller formats, Contax, Contaflex, Leica R-4, yes. . . but most of all Hasselblad--his preferred axe in later years when dragging around view-camera gear became too much.

It does sound like Ansel was a bit of a gadget freak--he seems to have *tried* every conceivable camera and lens at least once, including getting some freebies from manufacturers. He had a long relationship with Edwin Land as a beta-tester for Polaroid materials.

But I just happened onto this quote, on pg. 59 of Ansel's "Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs":

"I give full credit to the excellent scientists and technicians in the photographic industry. [....] However very few photographic manufacturing technicians comprehend photography as an art form, or understand the kind of equipment the creative person requires. The standards are improving in some areas, however: in my opinion, modern lenses approach the highest possible levels of perfection, and today's negative and printing materials are superior to anything I have known and used in the past. I am sure the next step will be the electronic image, and I hope I shall live to see it."

[published 1983; he died in April '84.]

Apologies for the lack of OM content,

  --Ross