Re: [OM] OM Tamron 17mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Tamron 17mm lens
From: john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:53:52 +0000 (GMT)

A while ago I asked the list for opinions on the Tamron 17mm lens. Well I just
bought one and I am impressed. The Non-Fisheye field of view is awesome! I can
really see a use for it for Landscape and Architecture.
   However it does seem a bit "flat" with light coming from the side. With this
in mind I have ordered the dedicated lenshood from Tamron in Japan....A 6/8
week wait  :-(   and the price..Ouch!  As pointed out the hood fits over the
outside of the lens and is held in place using a clamping screw.
    From the photos I have seen of the hood it should be possible to
rotate...with some difficulty, a 82mm circular polarizer.
      However I cannot see a way to fit a Cokin filter holder to this lens, it
looks as though the wings of the lens hood will get in the way. I REALLY do NOT
want to fork out best part of $300 for a set of good quality black and white
filters  :-{
      Has anyone any ideas....

John Duggan,  Wales, UK.