Re: [OM] OM-1 Shutter speed problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 Shutter speed problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:58:22 -0800
All speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000 should sound the same, as the mirror is up the same time for all of them. The curtains travel at the same speed not matter what the speed and from 1/60 on up the second curtain is released as or before the first completes its travel, so it all sounds the same. With these upper speeds, you can check if they are in fact different by looking through the camera with lens off and back open/off at a TV or computer monitor. The odd image you see will be slightly different at different speeds.

The speeds below 1/30 should each take progressively longer, pretty obvious both from sound and by how long the viewfinder blacks out. There are 3 different mechanical escapement mechanisms in the camera to cover the whole range of speeds, so one range can be off and the others on.

If the speeds are in fact all the same, there is no user solution, it must be repaired by a pro.

Moose

Daniel Sepke wrote:

Hi there all,

I have just got an OM-1 that has an issue with shutter speed selection. The
shutter appears to be firing at the same speed regardless of the selected
one. Is this an issue I can deal with or would I do better to get it looked
at by a tech?