Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:30:38 -0500
Don't hold your breath for any digital system other than a traditional one.
The Contax AX was quite a beast of a camera and not very successful.  The
complex, ceramic machinery necessary to move the film plane exacted a heavy
toll on size and weight.  The supposed rationale was that Zeiss lens users
would do ANYTHING to keep using that glass.  The argument was proved wrong by
the market.

Leica is betting along similar lines with their R8/9 digital back.  I'll bet
that it becomes a very low production, low selling item, esp at their prices.

There may be some technology that will allow the use of non focusing lenses,
but it's certainly not in the mainstream right now and won't be for the next
5-10 years, IMO.  The market isn't going to support such a radical idea and no
company would fund R&D for such a device.

The most we can hope for is incremental improvements in DSLR technology.

Skip