[OM] TOPE themes - here it is: the new schedule and some other changes!!

Subject: [OM] TOPE themes - here it is: the new schedule and some other changes!!! :)
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:24:24 +0100
Hi,

Well the votes are in... 22 people sent me their votes and they have all
been processed. The complete list of themes with amounts of votes (ordered
descendingly) is:

Reflections     12
Machines and tools      10
Through a window        9
Urban scene or cityscapes       9
Simplicity      9
Sunsets and sunrises    8
Skies   8
Vehicles/Transportation 8
Nature  7
Signs   7
Colour  6
Shadows 6
Silhouettes     6
The human condition     6
Rain    6
Low Angle/Dog's Eye View        6
Opposites       6
Animals 5
Flora   5
Hands   5
Still lifes     5
Photos with white-color as main subject, and photos with black-color as main
subject.        5
Food    5
Our offices     4
Your living place       4
Existing art    4
Commerce        4
Circles & Squares       4
Dealer's choice (Your Best Shot during the shooting interval)   4
Specific shapes 3
Speed   3
Sports or Fast action photography       3
Children        3
Funny/bizarre shots     3
Collection      3
Celebrations    3
Bad photos      2
Creative use of shutter speeds and/or f stops   2
Drama   2
Family  2
Toys    2
Wide angle lens (35 or wider lenses incl those settings on a zoom)      2
Normal lens (40-55 or eqv zoom settings)        2
Mud     2
Your favorite lens (use your favorite lens)     1
Your least favorite lens (use your least favorite lens) 1
Telephoto lens (75+ or eqv zoom setting)        0

So the top(e) 8 is:
==================
Reflections
Machines and tools
Through a window
Urban scene or cityscapes
Simplicity
Sunsets and sunrises
Skies
Vehicles/Transportation

As there is quite some overlap between Sunsets and sunrises and skies I
think it's best to use some editorial freedom and group these two and to
have a wildcard theme in there. The candidates for the wildcard theme would
be the ones directly following the themes with 8 votes, which in this case
would then be the themes that got 7 votes, being Nature and Signs. Out of
those, Nature has my preference as we have not yet had a single theme that
was nature based (whereas we did have themes like 'abstracts' and now
'simplicity', which can easily be applied to the Signs theme), and also
there were specific Animals and Flora themes which each got 5 votes.

Then, another change: the dates were previously determined such that ADITL
events could take place on the solstice and equinoxes, but as ADITL now
definitely seems to be something of the past, I've decided to switch to a
more logical scheme, which also better incorporates holidays, and is better
spread over the seasons (for those list members who actually live in areas
where seasons can be enjoyed).

So... the shooting intervals according to the new scheme become (drum roll):
-Reflections: December 10th, 2003 - January 21st, 2004
-Machines and tools: March 10th, 2004 - April 21st, 2004
-Through a window: June 10th, 2004 - July 21st, 2004
-Urban scene or cityscapes: September 10th, 2004 - October 21st, 2004
-Simplicity: December 10th, 2004 - January 21st, 2005
-Sunsets, sunrises and skies: March 10th, 2005 - April 21st, 2005
-Vehicles/Transportation: June 10th, 2005 - July 21st, 2005
-Nature: September 10th, 2005 - October 21st, 2005

Which means that the shooting interval for TOPE 17, Reflections, opens in
about a week from now.

Now... One final changes, by popular demand I've decided to allow the
maximum picture size to be 800 pixels (instead of 640) on the largest side,
be it the width or the height. I think by now most people will at least be
using an 800x600 screen resolution, and the file size increase of going from
640 to 800 pixels should not be that bad.

Note though that for TOPE 16 there's still the current size constraint of
640 pixels, as several people have already sent in entries.

Good, I'll update the TOPE page as soon as possible such that it contains
the new themes, schemes and restrictions.

Cheers, and 'ave another great two years of TOPE events! :)
Olafo