[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4452

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4452
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:01:46 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:53:56 -0800
>From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Attitude was: E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor

Mike,
Good to hear from ya, buddy! I had a lot of fun shooting those races with you
this year.

><SNIP>
>Much as I wanted the E1 to be the second coming of the OM1, I fear it
>may not be, and know it is not for me right now. Thanks to Stephen, the
>Can*nenabler, I got to shoot a lot with his D60 earlier this year. One
>week before the global debut of the E1 I gave up waiting. I went to the
>dark side and took the plunge for a new 10D body along with a nice
>"starter lens" in their incredible 70-200/2.8 L (non-IS) and 1.4x
>converter.

Ahh....that lens....bellisima! And so versatile. With the 1.4X tele, even more
versatile.

>The results I am seeing never cease to blow me away. I'm getting 12x18"
>prints on crystal archive paper from Costco for $2.99 each that are
>simply amazing. No noise, no jpeg artifacts, superb image quality. I
>have quite a few 11x14" ilfochromes and cibachromes custom printed from
>RDP100 or Provia F slides. They are grainy, lack the detail, and simply
>don't even really compare. Customers notice the results too--club event
>sales are up, and, equipment costs aside, costs have fallen.

Exactly my experience. In my experience, prints from digital cameras just smoke
prints from film.  I remember when I showed you that print from my little Epson
820 of AMA motorcycle racer Tony Meiring at CART testing in January printed on
Olympus Pictorico paper and how blown away you were at the image quality. FWIW,
many other pros are relying on the Costco printers to prioduce incredible
quality prints at prices that cannot be beat; using either the Fuji Frontier or
Noritsu printers. You can also download ICC Profiles for the specific printer
you use from Dry Creek Photo for free. This allows you to color manage your
print in Photoshop; simply download the profile for the Costco in your location
from www.drycreekphoto.com, and follow the instructions for using the profile.
It's pretty simple, do your corrections/edits in PS, then do a convert to
profile using the profile for your Costco store, save to disk, take in, and get
a print. Be sure to tell the operator not to use any color management. I hear
folks are getting superb results for $2.99 a print. And yes, customers really
love them....much more so than prints from film, in my experience. They are
simply blown away at the clarity and detail. They really get amped up when they
can see their face and eyes clearly through their helmet faceshield.

All the best,
Stephen.

<SNIP>
Mike Veglia