Re: [OM] OM Tamron 19mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Tamron 19mm lens
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:34:29 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2003 10:59:09 PM Central Standard Time,
olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The 18/3.5 appears from tests I've seen to be a better lens, in addition
to being smaller and lighter. I'm not sure in practice how significant
the 1mm diff is
I borrowed a 16mm from a list member and did some comparison interior shots
at my home with a tripod mounted camera and the Zuiko 16mm, Tamron 17mm and
Zuiko 18mm.  For that kind of work there isn't 10 cents worth of difference,
which may seem strange given the 180 degree vs 100 degree angle of view.  Maybe
if
I lived in a bigger house I could see the difference.  I subsequently sold
the 17mm and purchased a 16mm, however miss the 17mm for those times when I'd
really rather not risk using the 16mm.  You know, like when I'm driving down
the
freeway with my arm out the window taking pictures for the TOPE.  Bottom line
for me is that I doubt anyone would be disappointed with the Tamron 17mm.  My
preference on this lens is the older version with the built-in filters.  Bill
Barber