[OM] OT Green Cast (formerly E-1 related)

Subject: [OM] OT Green Cast (formerly E-1 related)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:25:51 -0800
Stephen Scharf wrote:

............The photographer was shooting Shutter prority at 1/160th of a second, and had set the camera to give -1 stop expsoure compensation. This was most likely accidental.

Ah, I understand operater error, although I am never guilty of it. :-) :-)

If you leave the thumbwheel on the back of the 1D turned on (there is a switch which turns it on and off, and Mike always leaves it on) and turn it accidentally, or brush it against something, it can set the exposure compensastion up or down by accident.

OK, ergonomics, not algorithms.

.......With the 1D, the exposure is usually spot on except for very bright, afternoon sun (common conditions shooting racing in California), where it tends to blow out highlight tones a little. In this situation, We set up our cameras for -1/3 stop exposure compensation.

I mostly hve my little 2mp S110 set at -1/3, as it seems to loose highlights more easily than shadows. Of course, it has no histogram display, so this is strictly from experience.

.......With respect to green cast, apparently, it only does this with JPEGs and not RAW images.

All the following stuff aside, shouldn't color balance be the same with processing to JPEG in the camera as in the computer?

Canon only indirectly acknowledges the camera does this with JPEGs. They claim it is a white balance issue, and if you shoot a custom white balance under your lighting conditions, you won't have it. As I said earlier, they are very likely right, but the camera does have a tendency to render this greenish cast when using Auto White balance under some circumstances, but it is heavily dependent on lighting conditions. Sometimes I see it, most times I don't. But it occurs frequently enough that people complain about it on the Canon Forum at Rob Galbraith and DPReview. As for a fix in firmware, if it varies with lighting conditions, it seems that it might be tough for one firmware setting to correct under all conditions.

I suppose the 1D is about due for replacement anway, so they can fix it in the new one and brag about it! "IMPROVED WHITE BALANCE UNDER MOST CONDITIONS!! NEW PROCESSING CHIP GIVES MORE ACCURATE COLOR IN JPEGS!! ETC!!"

You can program, in the custom functions area, alternative R/G/B settings to correct this, at least for the most part.

Fine for many uses, but not much help for your work.

Thanks for the info,

Moose