Re: [OM] Home alone, trying to TOPE

Subject: Re: [OM] Home alone, trying to TOPE
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:22:18 -0500
I thought my ankle was sprained, but something's broken instead
Now I've got a shiny new stainless steel screw holding some bone,
the name of which I can't remember right now, together.  I would
have preferred epoxy, but they didn't offer it as an option.
During the '70s and '80s I spent a lot of time crashing dirt bikes
on weekends, so I'm no stranger to sprains of various body parts,
and I became suspicious about this one when I realized it hurt too
much when I tried to walk on it, but not enough when I didn't.  A
Saturday x-ray confirmed my suspicious, and some yesterday surgery
supposedly fixed the problem.

If there's a bright spot, this injury has excused me from driving
to Texas for the annual Thanksgiving week marathon in-law
visitation, which this year also includes my wife's high school
class reunion, the prospects of which had me totally underwhelmed,
since I am becoming less congenial and gregarious as I get deeper
into my curmudgeonhood.

It's 870 miles from here to there, and her folks are scattered
from Austin to Galveston, with concentrations in Brookshire and
Santa Fe, and the trip was just too much for someone in my
(possibly exaggerated) painful condition.  So, she flew out this
morning, having left me with the proper amount of sympathy and
fully supplied with beer, steaks and everything that goes with
them, including, at my request, a whole chicken I'll put on the
grill with a half can of beer up it's butt for Thanksgiving, and a
more than sufficient supply of snack goodies to get me through.

Since I have procrastinated, it looks like my TOPE 16 is going to
be something I shoot, as the old CCR song says, looking out my
back door.  Like Hank Hill, I've got propane and propane
accessories, and the grill is right outside on the deck.  The
weather is nice, so maybe I'll set up a tripod with an OM, drag a
cooler of brew outside and see if I can get a shot of something in
motion while I'm contemplating and/or charring and/or consuming
some delicious cow flesh this afternoon.

Walt

"If I owned both hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in
hell."  -- Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

(Which is exactly where I figure he probably is.)