Re: [OM] Damping Fluid

Subject: Re: [OM] Damping Fluid
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:57:02 -0800
on 11/24/03 12:23 PM, fred42@xxxxxxxxx at fred42@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Quick question. What would be the most suitable thing to use
> for damping a movement in a lens?
>
> I ask it in relation to my recent
> Nikon shift lens conversion. It has a tendency to 'droop' when shifted all
> the way up. The mechanism is question is a screw driven plate/groove that
> carries the lens body. Would I do best to apply it to the screw or the
> plate?
>
> Dan S

Fargo Enterprises on the web (do a Google search) sells a variety of greases
that are used for dampening lens movements. I've had good success with
ordinary greases such as used for bicycle bearings, auto grease, and some
'Dow Silicon High Vacuum Grease' which was intended for use in vacuum
chambers of wafer-fab equipment. They key is to get the right 'stiffness' (I
think called out by NGLI spec...?) and that depends on the clearances and
area of contact involved...

There might be a way to shift the plate to load the gear threads, that would
stabilize it until the thread wore more... maybe hundreds or thousands of
movements later. Or you could deform or peen the threads to cause some
interference, but I would recommend getting a duplicate/replacement part
before trying any kind of 'mechanical fix'.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...