[OM] E-1 pix posted

Subject: [OM] E-1 pix posted
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:36:08 -0800
The E-1 snapshots I took today are posted here:
http://imageevent.com/puma_cat/olympuse1photos

Bear in mind these are not photgraphs, just snaps. I would have loved to have had the time to take some photos with the camera.

Some info on the images. All were converted to the Adobe 1998 color space in Photoshop 7. All were downsampled to 800X600 using Fred Miranda's Web Presenter Pro, which does an excellent job of downsampling while maintaining image quality. No color correction, levels, curves or sharpening or anything else was done to the images other than the profile conversion and downsampling. They were downsampled and saved as JPEGs at a 10 level in PS. They are best viewed in a color managed application like Photoshop, not from the web browser directly, which is not color managed. Best to download them and look at them in your color managed application. The EXIF data should still be attached to the photo, if anyone wants it, let me know. All were shot at ISO 800, which I just noticed tonight, and which is unfortunate, as the camera produces notable levels of noise at this ISO. I would have set the camera to ISO 100 if I had known.

Some notes:
1) The chemicals shelf pic is of note as that was shot handheld by me in Aperture Priority at 1/15 of a second, so this photo is likely not as sharp as it could be. I am sure there is some motion blur at this shutter speed with me handholding the camera. I shot the snapshot in Aperture as that is what it was set at when I turned on the camera. Silly me. What's notable is how sharp it looks even at 1/15th of a second handheld. Pretty dang good. 2) The panning shots of the cars were taken shutter priority at 1/250th second. The focus on the Ford Focus was good, but the camera missed the VW Jetta focus, even with me panning with the focus cross hair directly on the car. 3) There is notable noise in some images. Look at the pic of the blue Ford Focus at 100% to see what I am talking about. 4) If you open any of these in Photoshop, take a look at the histogram display in the Levels command. Note how the exposures were dead-on, with a very nice spread of pixels from the deepest blacks to the highlights. Note also how the middle slider tends to be smack under the midtones. Oly seems to have nailed the metering on this camera. Very nice exposure performance.

Hopefully I can rent this puppy sometime, and spend a day working with the camera to see what it can really do.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!