Re: [OM] TOPE categories, now philosophy of photography or some such

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE categories, now philosophy of photography or some such
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:03:09 -0500
I really don't much care what the future TOPE subjects will be.
Whatever they are, I'll try to take a photograph that fits.
That's part of the fun, the challenge of shooting something
reasonably good within defined limits.  Otherwise, why don't we
just, every couple of months, submit the best shot we've taken
since we sent in the last one?  I personally think we need to
adhere more tightly, not more loosely and freely, to the abstracts
for each TOPE.

Take the last TOPE, landmarks, for instance.  Probably a third of
the photographs submitted weren't really landmarks -- landscapes,
maybe, but not landmarks.  I hauled my butt out and shot a
landmark.  If I had wanted to stretch the abstract to suit
some "pretty picture" I had taken in the preceding few weeks, I
could've submitted something a whole lot nicer than a picture of a
fast-food restaurant.  But that fast food restaurant is a real, by-
the-dictionary-definition, genuine landmark, not just a pretty
scenic I pretended might pass for one.

To me, that's what it's all about, not trying to show how artsy-
fartsy you think you are by stretching the category definition
beyond all reason.  If the subject is "bugs," don"t send in a shot
of your dog and excuse it on the basis that he had fleas.

Just my opinion.  I have others, available for the asking, and, as
always, free of charge.

Walt, dropping back into curmudgeon mode.   Blame it on the pain.
Remember, I am injured.  :-(

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact
us." -- Hobbes