[OM] This and that

Subject: [OM] This and that
From: "Douglas Tourtelot" <tourtelot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:43:33 -0800
I got my Jazz Club photos back yesterday.  I was not too happy with the
results and am now plotting ways to do it better.  I shot on HP5 at 640 and
pushed it 1 stop. The grain, while arty looking enough<g>, is a bit too much
for me.  Contrast sucked (can't pull details from either shadows OR
highlights!!)  More contrast if I had pushed it 2 stops but more grain as
well. All the tech stuff is a bummer because I actually did capture the
"soul" of the night pretty well. Players looked, well, jazzed.  Oh well,
better luck next time, with, perhaps, Delta 3200 and a faster 90.  Life IS a
learning experience.

As to the guy in the blues club with the flash (for God's sake!!); get the
management to throw the asshole out.  "No flash photography.  You are being
rude to the artist and my paying customers"  My friend Tim, the guy with the
digi Reb*l; his non-flash photos came out swell.  Good color and plenty of
stop. Just not very interesting.  Mine at least are interesting if not very
good<g>. Maybe I should get myself one of those newfangled cam'ers.  No,
maybe not.

Contacted Tamron about the little "screwhicky" on my 500/8, and learned that
the "normal" setting lines up the red and green dots on the barrel, for any
who care.  Also AB'd it with the 200 Zuiko with the XA(?) 2x for meter
readings and they were identical.  My adapter/f-stop problem never existed.
Now more work to get the T-32 to work with this lens.  I see it as a means
of "very intimate" portraits from about 8 feet away, but I'll certainly need
artificial light!

Last but not least; I am beginning to feel brave enough to submit an image
or two to a future TOPE.  But I need a little tutoring off-list.  How do I
prepare the image in PS so that it fits, and so that the tones, color, and
contrast, etc, look good on the web site?

Sorry to babble.

D.