Re: [OM] OT is this for real?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT is this for real?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:16:56 +1100
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/rights.shtml

--Graham

Yet to hear of it having an impact on folk like us. The Ulhuru example is poor - there is the additional concept there that it is a sacred object and the publishing of particular aspects or details of it could be considered culturally offensive. The owners would prefer that people didn't climb it either but tourists insist. At the Apostles, the main image on the site, I've seen people take risks by leaving the viewing platform and futtling around on the cliff top to get a nice photo angle. They damage fragile vegetation, get in the way of people doing the 'right' thing and risk a 100m+ fall to the beach with consequent, expensive corpse removal at public expense. There are several classes of public land too, covered by different levels of restriction. Any kind of commercial activity is seriously restricted in National Parks although I'd be amused to see an attempt to prosecute someone taking a commercial image of a park from neighboring land. However, a great deal of Oz is 'Crown Land' and numbers of regulations can be enacted to control activities there. For instance, schools are not on 'public property' but Crown Land - thus people can be prosecuted for trespass. That legislation was enacted to control protestors on logging coupes but a school can use the same law by extension. Amateur and even pro-am photogs are unlikely to strike trouble, I suspect, unless they drag in a truckload of gear and go off-track to get the image and all the usual insensitive behaviour..
AndrewF
(Who fears that he might be very, very wrong but will keep going until he gets arrested. Take nowt but photographs, leave nowt but footprints).