Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4416

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4416
From: fred42@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:16:50 -0500
<SNIP>
> You can't do complete research into every seller (i.e. look at all
> feedbacks and look at all the items still viewable) and you have to
> tailor the effort
> to the cost of the item. What I do for a high-value item, which is
> probably more thorough that most, is:
> - look at the overall numbers
> - look at the first page and look into any feedbacks that look odd
> - scan down to any neutrals and negatives to see what kind of
> problems have happened and how the seller responded
> - if it looks as if the item description would be relevant to a
> problem then look at it
> - if they have feedback from someone I know, talk to them
> The lower the value, the less I do of this.
>
> Bottom line: If you want meaningful information about a seller
> then everyone
> has to provide it.
<SNIP>

I do a similar amount of research when buying for the first time from a seller.
I often check the feedback that they have left for others. It reveals
interesting things sometimes.

In a related note I often find that my buyers are leaving feedback in about
600f auctions. So my total is less accurate about the number of deals I have
done. I have considered asking eBay to add a total transaction figure in
addition to the feedback totals. But that would just reveal how inaddiqet the
feedback system sometimes is. It has caused me to change my feedback giving
policy. When I am buyer I post when I get the item, but my buyers only get it
after they have posted. It is a shame to do it that way but I have at least
twice worked with people how have a 200 plus rating who have never posted
feedback for their sellers.

So I guess the bottom line that we all agree on is we should not just rely on
the feedback system; and make it one of the parts of the assesment we have to
make before buying.

Dan S