[OM] Re:[OMCameras] New Member

Subject: [OM] Re:[OMCameras] New Member
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:27:17 -0500
On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 16:42
alabbasia <OMCameras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I have just found this group and am New to Olympus cameras. I

Welcome to the good and small SLR list!
See the other groups in the TO: list and
    http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html
for more info on OMs

tOM

> remember as a kid, my mother bought an OM-1 camera for her studies.
> As a doctor studying for her PhD she needed it as she was able to
> mount it to microscopes at the hospital where she was doing her
> research. After her research she did not use it much as she preferred
> the point and shoot cameras.
>
> Fast forward 20 years and I have just started getting into
> photography and am about to start a course today. I have researched a
> number of cameras and thought that the Older Olympus maybe the way to
> go. First experiences have not been good as I bought an OM-2
> advertised as perfect on EBay. The camera on off switch moved freely,
> the self timer lever fell off in my hand and the mirror was locked in
> the up position. I am trying to sort something out with the seller
> right now. I also bought an Olympus OM-PC as it came with a couple of
> nice lenses. I have not taken delivery of this yet and am praying
> it's in good condition.
>
> After the OM-2 nightmare, my mother agreed to give me her old OM-1
> which she never uses. It is coming from England and will take a
> couple of weeks to get here. I have read about these cameras
> requiring "mercury" batteries. I assume the big deal is that they are
> not readily available here in the US. However I think they still sell
> in Europe. Does anyone know what the model number for these battery's
> are and how many I need? I may be able to get a friend to buy some
> for me and send it on with the camera.
>
> I would be grateful if you could let me know.
>
> With best regards
>
> Al

---------
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1-775-307-4133 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980