Re: [OM] 8mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 19:33:09 -0700
If you're really needing an 8mm fix, I can suggest the Sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye. Unfortunately, they seem to be about as rare in OM mount as the Zuiko, but when you do find one it's about 1/10 the price (judging from my sample size of 1). At only about 60mm diameter, the front element doesn't quite have the same effect as the Real Thing, and it's an f/4 instead of f/2.8, but due to this it's actually much smaller than the Zuiko.

Also, it claims to be a "Filtermatic," but changing the filter involves removing the front half of the lens, which is on it's own bayonet mount, unscrewing the 22.5mm filter and putting on the new one, then reattaching the front half of the lens. Pretty nifty, but hardly filtermatic, IMHO ;)

I recently found one on the bay, and haven't really had a chance to try it out yet, but the viewfinder image looks very nice. Interestingly enough, the eSIF claims that the Zuiko's "aperture diaphragm does not couple to the exposure meter," while the Sigma's does. In any case, it's another lens to watch out for if you're wanting a circular fisheye.

Mark Marr-Lyon