Re: [OM] [OT] Film Quest-the epilogue

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Film Quest-the epilogue
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:32:24 -0800
As Piers says, it all depends - on several things:

The full scanned image is 2548x3820 pixels. On my screen, which is set at 96dpi, that is the equivalent of about 27x40 inches. On many screens set at 72dpi, it would be 35x53 (a numerical palindrome!). On a printer at 300dpi, it would be 8.5x12.7. At 240dpi, which looks photographic on my Epson 1270, that would be ~11x16.

HOWEVER, my scanner is 2720dpi. With a 4000dpi scanner, all those numbers would be multiplied by 1.47. Since you can already see grain in the sky at 2720dpi, it is possible that a 4000dpi scan might be grainer than you want printed to 16x23 at 240dpi, but I don't have a 4000dpi scanner to test. But this is 400 iso film, and slower film would be less grainy. And of course, a couple of listees already have Minolta 5400dpi scanners............

Moose

Boris Grigorov wrote:

I am pretty sure that am going to continue to shoot print film, despite the opinion of the majority of you who replied on and off list. One last question though...
Looking at the size of Moose's magnified image, can you tell me if when
printed, it would be as big as it looks on the screen?
There
http://www.geocities.com/dreammoose/TechMisc/