Re: [OM] Not to repeat myself, but...

Subject: Re: [OM] Not to repeat myself, but...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:21:06 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:

With color, the goal is consistency. There are no alternative developers,
and until the advent of scan and print machines, most printing has been done
with diffusion enlargers/printers. When I shoot a roll of Provia, I want it
to be just like every other roll I have shot. Not a bit blue, or yellow, or
whatever. I also want the speed to be exactly the same. You just can't do
that with a one shot system, and it's damn difficult with a low volume
replenished system.

I agree in general, but many things are possible with care, consistency and the right equipment. I used to have a little lab where my 2 lab people turned out thousands of consistently processed 4x5" slides using E-x on a film much touchier than any consumer E-x film. We used a specialized one shot processer by Merz that was unlike anything you mention and very careful lab controls. Some folks from Lawrence Lab came over to see how it was done, as they kept losing all their emulsions down the drain as the slid off the backing! We set 'em straight.

Moose