Re: [OM] Kimwipes [was: Lens cleaning question for John H. or Clint]

Subject: Re: [OM] Kimwipes [was: Lens cleaning question for John H. or Clint]
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:34:12 -0400
As mentioned by others, they're not available through consumer retail outlets. Industrial supply house are one source for them if you can find one that will sell to you in less than case lot.

Go to Kimberly Clark's professional products web site and click the map for your region: http://www.kcprofessional.com/. The U.S./Canada choice gives a toll free number to call. I used it to find the names of local distributors and ended up getting them from Airgas Supply for $2.75 a box. Since I was heading in the distributor's direction anyway I saved on the shipping. Airgas' web site with a warehouse locator is http://www.airgas.com/. Another source is paper and janitorial supply houses.

These wipes really are terrific for small cleaning jobs-camera bodies, lens barrels, etc. I've been using them mostly with denatured alcohol and suspect they'll work well with your solvent of choice. They don't shred easily and are virtually lint free. For a lot of applications I find myself cutting a sheet in half. So, at 280 full sheets per box my initial purchase of three boxes will last quite a while.

BTW, thanks John and Clint for confirming it's OK to use this product on lens elements. Before asking, I tried a Kimwipe on a junker lens and found it to work quite well. Best of all, there was no fiber particles left over as with lens cleaning paper.

Gary